What is Veterinary Science?
Veterinary science is a medical specialty that focuses on the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases affecting the health of animals and the transmission of diseases from animals to humans. It has also played an overall significant contribution to animal and human health.
Did you know that veterinarians developed surgical techniques, such as hip-joint replacement and organ transplants, that were later applied successfully to humans?
What Does a Typical Day Look Like for a Vet?
When a veterinarian gets to work, they typically start with the animals that need surgeries. Surgeries are performed in the morning so that the animals have the remainder of the day to rest and be monitored.
A lunch break comes after the morning surgery block, then vets move onto the general patients. These animals require physical exams, ranging from sick animals needing a diagnosis to annual exams and preventative care, such as vaccines.
What Equipment do Veterinarians Need?
Lab equipment for a veterinarian’s office is quite extensive. They typically require more than the average doctor’s office, as they can run tests and perform surgeries.
Here is a list of the things you might find in a vet’s office:
- Microscopes – efficient vet offices require these, as they allow for lab collections to be analyzed for quick diagnosis.
- Centrifuges – used for spinning lab collections, like blood and urine.
- Cotton Swabs – for an array of tests.
- Sample Containers – used for collecting material from tests.
- Microscopes Slides/Cover Slips – for examining test material.
- Disposable Gloves – for maintaining cleanliness.
- Stethoscopes – used for monitoring heart rate and breathing.
- Scales – used for weighing animals to test materials and medications.
The equipment listed above is a general list of the items veterinarians require. Each of the categories of the supplies comes in many different forms for each specific need of individual vet clinics. Find C & A Scientific Veterinary Catalog here!
C & A Scientific is a dedicated leader in improving the health and minds of people worldwide. We supply over 700 award-winning medical and STEM-inspired products to distributors and retailers looking for sensational customer service. Learn more about us and our story here.